Clean & Care Instructions
Your decision to purchase Conklin’s Gateway Laminate products will bring you years of quality performance.
Everyday cleaning of our products is as simple as a quick wipe with a damp sponge. All resist muddy fingerprints, coffee spills and so much more.
Be sure to read and follow the recommended care and cleaning procedures.
To clean the surface, use a damp cloth or sponge and a mild soap or detergent. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and wipe dry.
Difficult stains such as coffee or tea can be removed using a mild household Cleaner/detergent and a soft bristled brush, repeating as necessary.
If a stain persists, use a paste of baking soda and water and apply with a soft bristled brush. Light scrubbing for 10 to 20 strokes should remove most stains. Although baking soda is a low abrasive, excessive scrubbing or exerting too much force could damage the decorative surface, especially if it has a gloss finish.
Stubborn stains that resist any of the above
cleaning methods may require the use of undiluted household bleach or nail polish remover. Apply the bleach or nail polish remover to the stain and let stand no longer than two minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and wipe dry. This step may be repeated if the stain appears to be going away and the color of the laminate has not been affected. WARNING: Prolonged exposure of the laminate surface to bleach will cause discoloration.
Hot pans and heat-producing appliances (such as
electric skillets), when set directly upon countertops, can mar the product’s beauty. Always use a heat shield, hot pad or trivet.
A Few Notes of Caution
• Acidic or abrasive cleaners can damage laminate surfaces; do not use them.
• Drain cleaners containing lye will permanently
damage any Conklin’s Gateway Products Laminate surfaces. If you spill a drain cleaner, wipe it up immediately and rinse several times with water.
- Hair, textile, and food dyes can cause permanent stains. If dye should happen to spill, wipe it up immediately with dishwashing detergent or an all-purpose cleaner.
- Never place pots or dishes directly from the oven or burner on an unprotected laminate surface; such extreme heat can cause cracking or blistering.
- Do not work with oven cleaners on an unprotected countertop. Wipe spills away promptly and rinse several times with water.
- Rust removers contain harsh chemicals which will quickly cause permanent damage. If a spill occurs, wipe off all residue immediately, wash thoroughly with soapy water and rinse several times.
- Steel wool and other abrasive pads will damage Wilsonart Laminate. Don’t use them for cleaning and don’t store steel wool pads on your countertop; the metal can rust and leave stains.
- Toilet bowl cleaners contain harsh chemicals that can cause permanent damage. If spills occur, wipe up immediately, wash the surface with soapy water and rinse several times.
Recommended HouseHold cleaners
- Glass Plus®
- Mr. Clean®
- Formula 409®
- Isopropyl Alchol (Isopropanol)
*Prolonged exposure to bleach will cause discoloration.
When cleaning Conklin’s Gateway Products Laminate, DO NOT use products that contain the following ingredients:
- Hydrochloric Acid (Muriatic Acid, Hydrogen Chloride)
- Sulfuric Acid (Oleic Acid, Oil of Vitriol, Oleum)
- Hydrofluoric Acid (Rust Remover)
- Phosphoric Acid (Rust Remover)
- Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda, Caustic Lye, Soda Lye)
- Pumice (abrasive)